When planning a trip to Great Barrier Reef, off the coast of Queensland in northeastern Australia which is the largest living thing on Earth, you need to have in mind..
WHERE TO STAY:
QUALIA RESORT. A private world of luxury & sensory perfection. Tucked away in an exclusive precinct on Hamilton Island’s northern-most tip, offers 60 private pavilions that look onto the Coral Sea and the surrounding Whitsunday Islands. Touch down at Hamilton Island airport, 16 kilometres from the Queensland coast, and your secluded pavilion at qualia is just minutes away by VIP transport. My personal favourite villa would be the Windward Pavilion.
I was also between these two resorts but Qualia won me over:
LIZARD ISLAND. With 24 powdery-white beaches and 40 luxurious suites, it is the most northern resort in tropical Queensland and is located directly on the Great Barrier Reef. Accessible only by private charter from Cairns Airport. Personal favourite villas would be the Sunset Point Plunge Pool Villa, the Anchor Bay Suites and ofcourse the Pavilion.
ONE & ONLY HAYMAN ISLAND. Nestled close to the northernmost point of Australia’s Whitsunday archipelago, in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef, One&Only Hayman Island is the nearest Whitsunday Island to the Outer Reef, including the world-famous Heart Reef. My personal favourite villa would be the Beach Villa with Pool and Retreat Room set directly behind the villa amongst lush gardens.
Winner was QUALIA RESORT. WHY? scroll down to TIPS and find out..
WHAT TO DO:
- SCUBA DIVING
- VISIT WHITSUNDAY ISLANDS
- HELICOPTER RIDE
- SEAPLANE RIDE
- SPA TIME
- SAIL AROUND WHITSUNDAY ISLANDS UNTIL SUNSET
WHERE TO EAT:
There are not many options especially when you are staying on secluded island in the middle of nowhere but in the case of QUALIA Resort that is situated on Hamilton Island there are a few options. Not that I would recommend any of them though we pretty much stayed in all the nights we were there because the food at the hotel was insane!!!
WHEN TO GO: END OF MARCH
End of march is the perfect time to visit Queensland not because the other months is not as warm and sunny but mostly because jellyfish season is over and you can actually enjoy swimming in the beautiful waters of Australia without fear.
RECOMMENDED LENGTH OF STAY:
I would say 4 nights/ 5 days is more than enough to visit everything you want! (FULL SCHEDULE though)
- Qualia Resort won us over because it is easier accessible and you don’t loose time with too many transportation. Meaning.. Flights to Hamilton Island are very common from Sydney and Melbourne and you won’t lose time with other private transfers to get to your final destination and final I mean the hotel.
- Book EVERYTHING in advance. Don’t wait to get to the hotel to book your activities because believe me there won’t be any options left for you to do. People are planning way ahead on these destinations.
- Have a FULL schedule, by that I mean plan as many things as possible to see the most of the place!
- If planning a holiday with your family book at least one week! If its just you and your partner 5 days are more than enough.